Analysis of data handling processes
is a significant key to identifying appropriate applications and to
establishing the requirements that have to be fulfilled in realizing an
effective AIDC approach. This includes data structuring, the type or
types of AIDC technology to use, system and associated technology requirements,
economic and people-based needs that have to be satisfied.
As far as the
technologies are concerned a foundation for selection may be developed from a
consideration of technological attributes, and how they relate to requirements
without going into too much technical detail on how these attributes are
manifest. However, this may not obviate the need for more detailed
technical considerations when moving to the specification, implementation and
maintenance of a practical system.
In many situations AIDC is key to
providing highly efficient solutions for a wide range of carrier and data
collection needs, particularly where there is a requirement to identify items,
individuals, data, events and locations.
By considering the main areas of
application for AIDC, the set of questions presented below have been structured
to assist in determining the potential for applying AIDC in small to medium
Click on the links below to learn more:
Management of Information
Questions indicate difficulties the prospect may
exist for using AIDC.
- Do you have problems and errors in
- Is re-keying of data a common occurrence within your company?
- Do you have many keying errors?
- Is management information readily available?
- Is the management information accurate?
- Do you encounter difficulties in tracking documents and sources of
- Are aspects of your data handling slow and frustrating?
Capacity to handle goods
- Do you encounter problems or
inefficiencies in tracking goods internally?
- Do you encounter problems or inefficiencies in organizing customer orders?
- Are you part of a supply chain in which the demands for more efficient
handling of goods is demanded?
- Are you sufficiently competitive in dealing with goods?
- Do you encounter problems or inefficiencies in delivering orders?
- Are you being required to bar code or apply AIDC in respect to your goods?
- Do you have the potential to handle more goods, but feel constrained by the
AIDC can often allow you to handle a greater volume of goods and enhance the
efficiency with which the goods are handled.
AIDC can often allow increased throughput with savings in time and without
an increase in staffing.
- Is the throughput of business,
goods, manufacturing processes, services or information made difficult or
slow due to errors in information or inefficient data handling?
- Do you have an effective system for tracking customer orders?
- Do you have an effective and efficient system for managing processes?
- Do you see potential for increasing throughput, but feel constrained due to
AIDC may help you to carry less stock, and therefore require less space for
storage. AIDC may also allow better organization of stock and more
- Is your goods handling constrained
by the space available?
- Are you having to spend more on space than you feel is justified?
- Is the space available for handling goods efficiently organized to allow
effective and efficient storage and retrieval?
- Do you have difficulties in tracking items within the space available?
AIDC may help you to reduce personnel for manual data entry and handling of
goods, freeing them to be gainfully employed elsewhere.
- Do you have a need to introduce or
enhance time and attendance monitoring?
- Is manual data entry a significant feature in your business?
- Do you have a need to formally link jobs to individuals?
- Do you have problems in tracking and managing manual processes within your
AIDC invariably provide scope for reducing errors in data or information
- Do you have a need to reduce
errors in data or information used within your business or provided for
- Are errors arising within the goods handling or service activities of your
company that are causing harm?
- Do you see any opportunities for improving reliability of data gathering
activities within the company?
AIDC can often provide scope for improving access control, and reduce losses
due to theft and proof of delivery.
- Do you have a need for personal
identification of employees within the company or for the services they
- Do you have a need to introduce or improve controlled access to secure areas?
- Do you have problems of theft or misappropriation of goods?
- Do you have a need to introduce or improve controlled access to information
and/or computer-based information management systems?
- Do you have a need to introduce or improve the security of goods delivery?
- Do you have a need to introduce or improve a proof-of-delivery service?
AIDC can often provide the basis for better management of transportation and
distribution through better data handling.
- Do you have problems in tracking
and managing transportation?
- Do you have information-based problems in organizing the flow of goods to
- Do you have difficulties in maintaining service and maintenance histories on
- Do you have problems in tracking and recovering pallets and containers?
- Do you have information-based difficulties or inefficiencies in loading and
unloading goods to and from goods-carrying vehicles?
AIDC can offer the possibility to sort goods automatically and avoid
bottlenecks and stockpiling.
- Do you encounter bottlenecks,
difficulties or inefficiencies in sorting goods or items?
- Do you encounter stockpiling problems due to sorting difficulties?
- Do you need to introduce a means of identifying and sorting goods on
- Do you have a need for improving a process or processes for sorting goods,
items or materials within a manufacturing, supply or service activity?
Have more questions? Contact us today to learn